In 1906, three Sisters of Notre Dame began teaching Italian immigrant children in a tiny, ramshackle building at Sacred Heart Parish. In 1923 they opened Sacred Heart School.
The school closed in the '70s, but was reopened in 2001 thanks to the vision of Father Mateo Sheedy. Today, several Sisters volunteer at Sacred Heart Nativity School (boys) and Our Lady of Grace Nativity School (girls). These two schools sponsored by the Jesuits, Sacred Heart Parish and the Diocese of San Jose welcome children of low income families in grades 6-8 and prepare them for college preparatory high schools.